The Technical Support Team
The Technical Support Team exists to support the Society’s member authorities by providing research and information on the local government funding environment. The Team provides ongoing support for the Society’s members and their authorities throughout the year by co-ordinating consultation responses and producing briefings and analyses. The Team is also responsible for the management of the Society’s accounts.
How We Work
Every member authority of the Society of County Treasurers pays an annual subscription to fund the work of the Technical Support Team, which is directed by the Lead Advisor. The Team also supports the Police and Crime Commissioners Treasurers' Society in a similar way.
Who We Are
The Team has three members of staff. Individual team members lead on the methods used to finance local government services, public finance analysis, consultation responses, the Society’s accounts, and the development of the Society website. To contact the Technical Support Team click on the ‘Contact Us’ link in the left-hand menu bar, or member authorities can log-in to access further information and our telephone contact details on the Technical Support Team page.
What We Do
- Produce briefings on funding announcements that affect upper-tier authorities.
- Provide analysis and information on the local government finance distribution system including the effects of data and methodology changes.
- Provide analysis of the annual Local Government Finance Settlement for member authorities.
- Co-ordinate surveys of member authorities on various financial issues, including budget plans and spending. These are used by member authorities and by the Society to aid lobbying of central government and inform consultation responses
- Respond to consultations on behalf of the Society of County Treasurers (and CCN).
- Attend meetings with central government on behalf of the Society.
- Prepare papers on developments in local government finance for regular meetings of the SCT and CCN.
- Produce a monthly newsletter, updating member authorities on our current work and relevant news item from the press.
- Update the SCT website, a comprehensive resource for member authorities, which can be used to access password-protected information such as survey results, briefings, analysis and consultation responses.
- Organise seminars and events, to keep member authorities up to date on fundamental changes to the local government finance system.